The JasPer Project Home Page
The JasPer Project is an open-source initiative to provide a free software-based reference implementation of the codec specified in the JPEG-2000 Part-1 standard (i.e., ISO/IEC 15444-1). This project was started as a collaborative effort between Image Power, Inc. and the University of British Columbia. Presently, the ongoing maintenance and development of the JasPer software is being coordinated by its principal author, Michael Adams, who is affiliated with the Digital Signal Processing Group (DSPG) in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Victoria.
JasPer includes a software-based implementation of the codec specified in the JPEG-2000 Part-1 standard (i.e., ISO/IEC 15444-1). The JasPer software is written in the C programming language. More details about this software can be found in the JasPer Software Reference Manual.
The JasPer software has been included in the JPEG-2000 Part-5 standard (i.e., ISO/IEC 15444-5), as an official reference implementation of the JPEG-2000 Part-1 codec. This software has also been incorporated into numerous other software projects (some commercial and some non-commercial). Some projects known to use JasPer include:
- K Desktop Environment (as of version 3.2)
- Netpbm (as of Release 10.12)
- Photoline 32
- Prophecy SDK
- Meesoft's Image Analyzer
- OpenSceneGraph Project
- QJp2IO. JasPer wrapper for Qt.
- BorJas. JasPer wrapper for Borland C++ Builder.
- TIFF Codec Driver. TIFF driver for JasPer library.
- GeoJasper. GeoJasper is the first in the world FREE Geo supporting command line transcoder between JPEG2000 and other formats.
- RealWorld Icon Editor
- GYachI. A Yahoo-messenger client.
- MATLAB toolbox for JasPer
- Ziproxy (Ziproxy is forwarding, non-caching, compressing HTTP proxy server.)
- FBI Improved (FIM)
(Incidentally, if you are aware of any projects utilizing the JasPer software that are not listed above, please let Michael Adams know so that he can add them to the list.)
The JasPer software is available under an open-source license that is based on the MIT license. The license is available in the file named "LICENSE" in the JasPer software distribution. For convenience, a copy of the license can also be obtained using the following link:
For quite some time, the JasPer Project has been releasing the JasPer software through its official Git repository hosted by GitHub. To obtain a recent version of JasPer, this Git repository must be used, as new software releases are not currently posted on the web site that you are currently viewing. The URL for the JasPer Project on GitHub is as follows:
The following legacy (i.e., obsolete) versions of JasPer are available for download:
- JasPer 2.0.14 [2017-09-14] (gzipped tar archive)
- JasPer 2.0.12 [2017-03-02] (gzipped tar archive)
- JasPer 2.0.10 (gzipped tar archive)
- JasPer 2.0.6 (gzipped tar archive)
- JasPer 2.0.0 (gzipped tar archive)
- JasPer 1.900.29 (gzipped tar archive)
- JasPer 1.900.28 (gzipped tar archive)
- JasPer 1.900.27 (gzipped tar archive)
- JasPer 1.900.22 (gzipped tar archive)
- JasPer 1.900.21 (gzipped tar archive)
- JasPer 1.900.19 (gzipped tar archive)
- JasPer 1.900.16 (gzipped tar archive)
- JasPer 1.900.13 (gzipped tar archive)
- JasPer 1.900.5 (gzipped tar archive)
- JasPer 1.900.4 (gzipped tar archive)
- JasPer 1.900.3 (gzipped tar archive)
- JasPer 1.900.2 (gzipped tar archive)
- JasPer 1.900.1 (zip archive)
- JasPer 1.900.0 (zip archive)
- JasPer 1.701.0 (zip archive)
The following downloads are not officially supported, but may be helpful nevertheless:
- Patches for the xv image viewer to provide JPEG-2000 support via the JasPer library. (These patches are against JasPer 1.701.0 and were provided by Scott Marovich of Hewlett-Packard Laboratories. You can find Scott's contact information in the file containing the patches, should you wish to contact him.)
- Patches for JasPer for OpenVMS . These patches are maintained by Jouk Jansen (joukj at hrem.stm.tudelft.nl).
Some test images are also available for download as follows:
- Online JasPer Software Reference Manual (on GitHub) This is the most recent version of the JasPer Software Reference Manual.
- JasPer Software Reference Manual (Version 1.900.0) (Last Revised: 2006-12-07). This is an ISO document containing the original version of the JasPer Software Reference Manual. This document has some content not yet covered by the online manual.
- A paper on JasPer in the Proc. of IEEE ICIP 2000. Preprint (in PDF format) .
- A paper on JasPer in the Proc. of IEEE ICASSP 2004. Preprint (in PDF format) .
- A tutorial paper on JPEG 2000 distributed with the JasPer software. Paper (in PDF format) .
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is the JasPer software open source?
Yes, the JasPer software is available under an open source license. (The license is based on the MIT license.)
Can I use JasPer in commercial products?
Yes, you may use the software for commercial purposes as long as you do not violate the terms of the license.
How can I obtain a copy of the JPEG-2000 test images?
At present, not all of these images can be distributed to the general public, due to their uncertain copyright status. Fortunately, a few of these images can be distributed at this time, and are available from the download section of this document.
Other Interesting Links